Assembly of Western European UnionDocuments from  to 
OPEN FOR CONSULTATION
With the signing of the contract of deposit on the 27th May 2011 by the Secretary General of the Assembly of the WEU, Colin Cameron, and the Director of the HAEU, Jean-Marie Palayret, the Assembly of the Western European Union (due to the cessation of its activities) transferred on the 24th June, 60 boxes of its historical records from Paris to Florence. The Assembly was founded in 1954, with the creation of the Western European Union. For more than 50 years, the Assembly, located in Paris, has been exercising interparliamentary scrutiny of intergovernmental activities in all areas of European security and defence which served to increase transparency and democratic accountability. In the last few years, following the transfer of the WEU's operational activities to the EU, the Assembly's main focus was to scrutinise the EU's European Security and Defence Policy (ESDP) while continuing to monitor the implications of cooperation with NATO. The Assembly paid particular attention to issues such as peacekeeping operations in the Balkans, Afghanistan, the Middle East and Africa.
The work of the Assembly and its recommendations, to which governments were bound to reply, ensured that co-operation between governments at the European level was mirrored by cooperation between national parliamentarians meeting at the same level. It was decided in March 2010 to abolish the WEU and the Assemblies operations were wound up in May 2011.
The WEU Assembly documents are arranged by year and by document type
The National Archives of Luxemburg has put online their inventory of the Secretariat general / Council (SG/Council) of the Western European Union fonds. The inventory includes more than 3400 archival records dating from 1947 to 2009. The fonds is available for researchers on site in Luxemburg.
The National Archives of Luxemburg’s fonds inventory is linked to the fonds of the Assembly of the WEU deposited at the Historical Archives of the European Union in Florence, Italy. The HAEU’s inventory is also available online and the fonds can be consulted on site. It comprises of 2917 records in English and French.
In May 2011 the WEU officially agreed to transfer its SG/Council archival records to the National Archives of Luxemburg and the Assembly of the WEU records to the Historical Archives of the European Union. Since its missions had been taken over by NATO and the European Union, the WEU was closed on 30 June 2011.
Due to he how the documents were presented on their arrival in Florence in bound volumes, it was necessary to give an item by item description of the Assembly documents.
Inventory done at Florence by Mary Carr.