Interview with Leydon, KevinFrom the The European Commission 1986-2000. Memories of an institution Collection
Recorded in 06 July 2016 Brussels
Interview by Francesco Petrini in English
During the interview, the following topics were discussed:
- Ireland 1960’s political context;
- educational background;
- first job as chief economist in the Irish National Transport Company;
- career path in the Commission;
- European commitment;
- his functions in DG Energy;
- different periods in the development of a European energy policy;
- the shared analysis approach;
- the 1973 and 1979 oil shocks;
- nuclear energy;
- the impact of his work on the decision-making process;
- energy and the internal market;
- the counter-shock: fall of the oil price since 1986;
- sources of information in energy;
- relations with the International Energy Agency;
- key personalities in DG Energy;
- geopolitical changes in Europe.
Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged, except where otherwise stated.
Where prior permission must be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia information
(sound, images, etc.), this permission cancels the general permission mentioned elsewhere and indicates any restrictions on use.