Interview with Lalis, GeorgetteFrom the The European Commission 1986-2000. Memories of an institution Collection
Recorded in 08 June 2016 New York
Interview by Veera Mitzner in English
In this interview, Ms Lalis discussed the following issues:
- her education and professional background;
- her first experience at the Commission;
- women in the Commission;
- the writing of the social chapter of Maastricht;
- her relations with Vasso Papandreou;
- the circumstances of her appointment to the cabinet of Ms Papandreou;
- the relations with Coreper I;
- the administrative impact of the 1995 enlargement;
- the end of the Cold War;
- Thatcher’s fall;
- her relations with her home country, Greece;
- European public health policy (e.g. tobacco and lobbies);
- her vision of Europe;
- the maritime policy.
Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged, except where otherwise stated.
Where prior permission must be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia information
(sound, images, etc.), this permission cancels the general permission mentioned elsewhere and indicates any restrictions on use.