Interview with Jansen, ThomasFrom the The European Commission 1986-2000. Memories of an institution Collection
Recorded in 24 April 2017 Trieste
Interview by Angela Romano in English
During the interview, Mr Jansen discussed the following topics:
- his educational background;
- his employment history pre-Commission (e.g.: assistant for European affairs to Hallstein at CDU Bundestag parliamentary group; responsible for the Italian representation of the Adenauer Foundation in Rome 1981-83; Secretary General of the European People’s Party and of the European Union Christian Democrats 1983-94).
- his contacts with Jacques Santer;
- his recruitment into the Cellule de Prospective, procedure, type of contract;
- his affiliation with European Federalist Movement, and impact of his working at the Cellule on his ideas;
- his work in the Cellule: contacts with churches and religious; contacts with academics and intellectuals; organisation of Carrefours de la science et de la culture;
- Cellule’s composition (names and expertise);
- Cellule’s working relations with Commission’s Presidency, President Santer, and other DGs;
- his relations with politicians of his country;
- Cellule’s relations with lobbyists and other groupings from the civil society;
- Working languages in the Cellule;
- his language skills and his favourite newspapers at that time;
- his job at EESC: recruitment; tasks; EESC working method; relations with colleague and EESC Presidents;
- his worst and best memory – i.e. trouble and then demise of the Santer Commission – and his reading of it;
- his best memories of his time at the EC: the launching of the Euro and his reading of it;
- his assessment of the influence of the Cellule’s works on other EC institutions;
- his list of colleagues that made an impression on him;
- tour d’horizon of his working relations with Commissioners of the Santer Commission.
Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged, except where otherwise stated.
Where prior permission must be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia information
(sound, images, etc.), this permission cancels the general permission mentioned elsewhere and indicates any restrictions on use.