Interview with Sampaio Nunes, Pedro deFrom the The European Commission 1986-2000. Memories of an institution Collection
Recorded in 26 May 2017 Lisbon
Interview by Francesco Petrini in English
During the interview, the following topics were discussed:
- family and educational background;
- Portugal’s accession to the EEC;
- professional experiences before joining the Commission;
- becoming Deputy Head of Staff of the first Portuguese Commissioner;
- portfolios’ distribution in the second Delors Commission;
- waves of liberalisation, security of supply, climate change;
- his work as Director for Energy technology and as Director for Conventional energy;
- dialogue with the OPEC;
- Commission’s representation in the International Energy Agency;
- regional approach of the internal market;
- impact of the collapse of the Eastern bloc on the energy sector;
- the 1991 Energy Charter;
- Delors’ candidacy to the presidency of the French Republic;
- circumstances of his departure.
Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged, except where otherwise stated.
Where prior permission must be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia information
(sound, images, etc.), this permission cancels the general permission mentioned elsewhere and indicates any restrictions on use.