Interview with Oliveira e Sousa, Jorge deFrom the The European Commission 1986-2000. Memories of an institution Collection
Recorded in 14 February 2017 Brussels
Interview by Piers Ludlow in English
In this interview, Mr de Oliveira e Sousa discussed the following topics:
- his educational background;
- when he joined the Commission, the Iberian recruitment;
- Coreper I & II meetings;
- the evolution of the Secretariat-General;
- the financial control: the pre-adhesion funds, relations with the US controller;
- CFSP: the reorganisation of DG I, European political cooperation, Yugoslavia, the Political Committee meetings, the creation of the SCR;
- the effects of the fall of the Commission on the services (control over expenditure);
- his appointment as Director
- General for Press and Communication: new financial regulations;
- languages used and the shift into English.
Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged, except where otherwise stated.
Where prior permission must be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia information
(sound, images, etc.), this permission cancels the general permission mentioned elsewhere and indicates any restrictions on use.