Interview with Blonk, WilhelmFrom the The European Commission 1986-2000. Memories of an institution Collection
Recorded in 10 May 2017 Brussels
Interview by David Burigana in English
During the interview, Mr Blonk discussed the following topics:
- the creation of the maritime transport directorate;
- the role of commissioners Karel Van Miert and Neil Kinnock;
- intermodal transport;
- the Trans-European Networks;
- the issue of sustainable transport;
- relations with lobbies;
- the funding of Galileo;
- international negotiations with IMO;
- bilateral negotiations with China and South Korea;
- tensions with DG Industry and the creation of the Maritime Investment Forum;
- disagreements with DG Competition;
- South Africa, the ‘positive measures programme’ and the Kagiso Trust;
- the Southern African Development Coordination Conference;
- the IMF and the World Bank;
- the independence of Namibia;
- cooperation with the European Parliament;
- his involvement as chairman of Close the gap, after his career at the Commission.
Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged, except where otherwise stated.
Where prior permission must be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia information
(sound, images, etc.), this permission cancels the general permission mentioned elsewhere and indicates any restrictions on use.