Interview with Wall, StephenFrom the The European Commission 1986-2000. Memories of an institution Collection
Recorded in 10 June 2016 Florence
Interview by Federico Romero in English
Topics discussed during the interview include:
- Education and career steps;
- Permanent Representative;
- Contacts with domestic groups, lobbies, associations (BA, Jaguar);
- Santer crisis and power of EP;
- Effectiveness of the Commission and representation of national interests with it;
- Opinions on main figures (Delors, Santer, Cloos, Prodi, Monti, Brittan, de Boissieu);
- Inner workings and practices of Coreper;
- BSE (‘mad cow disease’) crisis;
- British politics and the EC, UK and Amsterdam Treaty;
- The Labour government and Tony Blair’s approach to EU;
- BSE affair and the Santer commission scandal;
- Appointment of Neil Kinnock;
- Foreign policy issues, attitudes and decisions about Eastern enlargement;
- UK and Europe in a broad perspective;
- British understanding of integration, particularly the Euro project
- The UK and Franco-German relations.
Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged, except where otherwise stated.
Where prior permission must be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia information
(sound, images, etc.), this permission cancels the general permission mentioned elsewhere and indicates any restrictions on use.