Interview with van der Pas, NikolausFrom the The European Commission 1986-2000. Memories of an institution Collection
Recorded in 28 January 2016 Brussels
Interview by Aline Sierp in English
Topics discussed with Nikolaus van der Pas during the interview included:
- Career path and organisation of his tasks
- Sense of belonging/nationality/language and the role it played in his career
- Description of tensions between the different hierarchical levels within the Commission (example: social affairs and employment)
- Institutional setup of the Commission and changes in the Community method
- Vision for the future of the EU: federation
- Education and culture as economic realities
- Problems faced during the accession negotiations with Sweden, the EFTA countries and with the CEECs
- Reasons behind the enlargement towards the CEECs (economic aspects, ideological aspects)
- Evaluation of progress in the areas under his responsibility: enlargement, education&culture, social affairs&employment
- External events and Commissioners that left a mark on the Commission: Yugoslav Wars, Delors, Davignon, Reading, Monti.
Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged, except where otherwise stated.
Where prior permission must be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia information
(sound, images, etc.), this permission cancels the general permission mentioned elsewhere and indicates any restrictions on use.