Interview with Paemen, HugoFrom the The European Commission 1986-2000. Memories of an institution Collection
Recorded in 26 September 2016 Brussels
Interview by Federico Romero in English
During the interview Mr Paemen discussed the following topics:
Organization of workflow and division of responsibilities in DG I;
- Recruiting experts for Uruguay Round negotiations and collaboration with other DGs;
- Contacts with business groups and trade associations;
- Uruguay Round negotiations: an assessment;
- Head of Delegation in Washington DC, tasks and relations with Members States ambassadors;
- The WTO;
- Relations with the US;
- US presidents and Europe;
- The 1990s atmosphere, internal market and Euro;
- Outstanding personalities in the Commission;
- Leaving the Commission.
Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged, except where otherwise stated.
Where prior permission must be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia information
(sound, images, etc.), this permission cancels the general permission mentioned elsewhere and indicates any restrictions on use.