Interview with Liikanen, ErkkiFrom the The European Commission 1986-2000. Memories of an institution Collection
Recorded in 20 October 2017 Helsinki
Interview by Piers Ludlow in English
In this interview Mr Liikanen discussed the following topics:
- his experience as Finnish negotiator with the European Union in the accession negotiations: relations with DG External Relations, the issue of agriculture, training;
- the European Economic Area agreement;
- interactions with Austria, Sweden, and Norway;
- relations with Russia;
- the neutrality issue;
- his appointment as Commissioner for Budget and Administration;
- the presidency of Jacques Santer and the ‘Commission crisis’;
- relations with the European Parliament;
- the reform of the administration: internal management and financial control, relationship with the Court of Auditors, internal resistance, and the Kinnock reform;
- his work as Commissioner for Enterprise and Information Society in the Prodi Commission;
- the presidency of Romano Prodi;
- enlargement negotiations with countries of central and eastern Europe, and the Agenda 2000;
- major personalities of the period 1986-2000.
Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged, except where otherwise stated.
Where prior permission must be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia information
(sound, images, etc.), this permission cancels the general permission mentioned elsewhere and indicates any restrictions on use.